Decorating for the holidays can be overwhelming – all those little touches! But today, I’m sharing a DIY project anyone can do, easy holiday door decor.
In years past, I put a lot of time and energy into creating a cozy and inviting home for the holidays. In our last house, that meant a giant tree in our great room, stockings lining the banister, and decorations in every nook and cranny.
Although I still love decorating for the holidays, I have to be picky and choosy with what comes out of storage these days. Until our farmhouse is in a state of a bit more, er, completeness, I’m keeping it more minimalist. Perhaps it’s because it looks like a remodeling bomb went off in our house. At least, that’s what I’m saying. ?
We typically hang a few wreaths outside and inside. I’m looking forward to getting those out of storage this weekend. However, I decided to create a simple arrangement in a hanging basket to put on our side door. I have to say, I love this basket that I purchased last year at the Country Living Fair. I found one that’s similar at Hobby Lobby here. It’s easy to change it up each season like I did in the spring and fall. I can just swap out the ribbon and what goes inside the basket each time instead of buying a whole new arrangement.
Materials You’ll Need
I like this particular basket because of its shape but you could use any that doesn’t overwhelm the size of your door. Craft stores like Michael’s, Hobby Lobby, and Joann typically have lots of options. For this quick DIY easy holiday door decor project, all I bought was some ribbon and a few holiday picks. If you’re a really savvy shopper, you can hold off buying these items until late in the season and really score a great deal.
How To Put It Together
- I find it’s best to start with a color or theme in mind with this easy holiday door decor project. You could do something elegant with gold or silver and white. Or, put together a version using bright pastels, or even do a cool black and white look. For me, I personally love the cheeriness of red in the winter. That’s true especially when the skies are gray and the ground is blanketed in snow. And I love traditional plaids for the holidays. I went with a red and green plaid ribbon with a touch of gold thread. For the picks, I chose a cardinal and a dove and mixed those in with red berries, small red bulbs, and gold and white pinecones.
- I wound the ribbon around the top portion of the basket and adhered it with melted glue from a glue gun. You could easily skip this step and go right to tying on a bow. Then I wove the rest of the ribbon under the glued part and tied it in a bow, evening it out and pushing it somewhat flat.
- My particular basket is deep and narrow. The picks I chose were on the shorter side, so I balled up some newspaper to partially fill up space in the basket.
- Play around with the spacing and arrangement of your picks until you like what you see. One of the things I like about this basket is it’s easy to wind wire through the little spaces to hold the picks in place.
- Hang and admire, making any final adjustments.
The Easy Holiday Door Decor Reveal
Watch the Video!
In just 10 minutes or so, I created this simple holiday arrangement. My hope is that it will bring a smile to the face of anyone knocking on our door this season. What are the simple things you do each year to bring a little cheer to your home? I’d love to hear about them!